Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Window


So here is a picture of my latest creation. I created this design in February/March. When it was finally done, I had to make an exact copy so I could cut out the pattern. Once I cut it out, I wondered if I was a bit stupid. There were 136 pieces in this window, and some of the pieces are itsy-bitsy. It seems like a pretty easy design, but as I cut out some of the flower stems, I had trouble. I eventually had to make it a 138 piece design because some of the angles I put into the design weren't actually do-able. I still have about 25 pieces to cut out. Seven of them are going to be a bit tricky as I try to match up the pattern of the glass the pieces go between. The remaining 16 pieces will be easy since they are just the border pieces and are all straight cuts. I found the plate on eBay (I really do have a bad eBay habit). When I saw the plate, I decided I wanted to create a window around it. Once I saw it, I realized that it had butterflies and flowers around it. I then created this window to kind of match the design on the plate. If you can't tell, there are two butterflies and about seven flowers. I can't wait to get this window done and be able to take a picture of it with the light streaming through it. The butterflies have a black body and dark purple and light yellow wings. The leaves and the stems are a forest green. Since there isn't light streaming through it, the green and the purple all look similar.
For the background, I used this glass called Baroque. I really love the look of it. It seems to be clear glass with a white (not clear) marbleized into the clear.
Hopefully I will be able to finish this one in the next two weeks. I still have to grind and smooth the pieces so they fit together nicely. Then I have to wrap the edges in copper foil and then solder it all together. I hope I will have the time to do this over the next couple of weeks. This week is going to be a busy week.

1 comment:

Tom and Audrie said...

Looks pretty! Glad you found something you love to do even if it has given you and ebay problem as you say. jk