Sunday, June 22, 2008

Wedding Cake

Okay, so I finally did it. Friday I went home from work early to make the cake (12:30). I had thought about doing it on Thursday night and then only leaving a bit early on Friday (4:30) so I could just drop it off. However, at the last moment I decided to decorate it on Friday instead of Thursday evening. It wasn't going to be that difficult to do. The hardest part was going to be trying to get it as smooth as possible. As you can see on this picture, I came pretty close to having it really smooth. I don't like the edges, but didn't know how to do them in such a way so it would be perfect. Then I called the bride to see when I could drop the cake off. The reception was to start at 7. I thought I would drop it off around 6. I planned on then going and doing a bit of shopping since I would be in town. I did get there around 6, but the bride didn't show up until about 6:20. I hadn't finished the cake because I wanted to know where she was going to put the cake and on what she would like it on. Then I was going to put on the last ribbon, dots, and then the flowers. It was also very hot so I had to have the cake inside. I had brought a cake pedestal that I had just got at K-Mart (which, I hate K-Mart). It had been in the clearance items, and I got it for $5. It was a Martha Stewart collection, but I could care less about that. I just thought it was simple and it matched the color of the icing. She had wanted her cake to be an ivory color. So when the bride showed up, I showed her the pedestal and she said that was fine. So if put the cake on the pedestal and finished decorating. Since it was still over 100 degrees outside, I didn't want to put the cake out until about 7. Then I was going to leave. I still was waiting for the check and just after I put the cake outside, I saw the groom writing a check to the chocolate fountain lady and so I thought they would write one to me at the same time. This didn't happen.

Finally I brought out the cake. Next thing I knew, some of my friends showed up. So I got to talking to them. I was there when the cut the cake, and then I was asked if I would cut the cake for the rest of the guests. I did it for them. The bride has only been in Bakersfield for about 6 months, so she really didn't have the friend support that she would normally have had. I turned to her and asked her where the forks were. Apparently the mother-of-the-groom was in charge of this reception, so the bride asked her where the forks were. The mother-of-the-groom shot me a look (whoa!) and said she didn't know we were going to have cake and so she doesn't have any forks. The look I got was more like she expected me to have the forks. So someone ran to the grocery store that was about a block away and got some forks. No big deal. Everyone said they liked the cake.

2 comments:

Grocholl said...

So did you get paid for the cake???It looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you charged her alot-like they do from a bakery and such..The flowers also look wonderful!!! Good JOB!
Tami

Tom and Audrie said...

Great Job!!! Did you ever get paid??? I hope so after all your troubles.